Monday, November 10, 2008

The Life Threatening Road

Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examination is here again.

A few years back, I was travelling in the morning when I saw a student's body was laying motionless on the pavement of the busy Jalan Tebrau. The motorcycle he rode had hit one of the many potholes which the city is famous for - Jalan Berlubang (Pothole Road).

I did not know who he was but I know he's a student in school uniform who's going to sit for his final exam in secondary school.

I did not know which school he's in but I know the invigilator would not want him to miss his paper. As a teacher, the very least we can hope in a student is to try.

I did not know who the parents are but I know for sure they will be very devastated with the death of their son. Their hope would be dash if they pinned too much of it in him.

I did not know who's responsible for all the potholes but I know those people responsible must be deaf with all the cryings of many, many, many accidents because of them.

Those people must be blind being the reason they did not see the need to attend to the cryings.

People like me can only hope, hope and hope that nobody's children, spouses, family members, friends or neighbours will fail to see the many potholes that HAVE TO BE on Jalan Berlubang.

No comments: