Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Shameful Act

The 2 English speaking tourists with heavy haversacks behind them were showing the taxi driver their Singapore-Johore bus tickets asking him for direction to the bus stop which will bring them to Larkin.


"No, no, no. I don't know bus. I know taxi only." He cut short to their further questions.

They were clueless as they knew they've paid S$2.40 per person to bring them to Larkin, Johore - I overheard the conversation and pitied the tourists.

After the taxi driver left, I went up to them, directed them to take the underground passageway with the stationary escalators which they were earlier on, to the opposite side of the road to wait for the bus.

Carrying heavy bags, travelling on a tight budget, to be greeted with escalators not functioning most of the time and to be welcomed with such greedy locals, I wonder where has the hospitality of the host been placed.

Many such incidents have taken place - after helping these tourists, I would quickly make my exit to avoid the hatred and stares of other taxi drivers.

No comments: