Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Food Story - At The Cross Road

I wonder how is Madam Hajara Aludeen's food business going. 

She must be facing a mounting task to win back customers' trust in her family for her husband, Mr Sheik Allaudin, 70, is in the news again, today. 

He's given the maximum fines totalling $9,000 for causing a massive food poisoning in April last year in one of Singapore's worst incidences in recent years. 

If he fails to pay the fine, he will spend 9 weeks in jail. 

 

48 people were hospitalised while the rest received outpatient treatment. 

The poisoning led to 2 deaths although a verdict of misadventure was recorded against both deaths. 

National Environment Agency senior prosecutor Abdullah Ghani said the history given by all 154 cases showed a strong and consistent association between the food poisoning outbreak and the Geylang Serai stall.

His wife is now the licensee of the new stall at the Geylang Serai Food Centre.  

Mr Sheik Allaudin  is not allowed to handle food. 

He is not even allowed to go to the new stall or, he will be fined. 

 

The market opened for business last July with an $18.2-million building. 

The new premise, which is much  more spacious is with better ventilation thus airy.  

There's also a sheltered overhead bridge that links it to Joo Chiat Complex across the road.

It is high time for MUIS (Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura) to look into Halal Certification awarded to Muslim food operators too.  

 

******

 

I was buying lunch at a food stall in one of the Woodlands coffee shop. 

As I was about to pay for the food, a young couple came forward and the the lady behind the glass showcase asked me to pay to them. 

The couple then walked away after the payment made. 

 

I asked the lady for the couple's identity and she said they are the stall's owner. 

I walked out with the food which I finally threw away. 

Although I am a nobody to judge anybody, but the said couple, to me, are just like gangsters. 

The girl with countless earrings, cropped top with studded navel and her man, in sleeveless singlet, tattooed whole arms and lower legs. 

Does the couple fit into the 'halal' and 'toyyib' category? 

 

And that's not the first time I throw food away especially when I'm always at both sides of the Causeway. 

I've came across man serving 'laksa' with lighted cigarette passed between hand and mouth ceaselessly. 

Then, those who grilled chicken on flame-red charcoal, secured but with mesh-wire. 

Food vendor coughed into food are some incidents which led to turn-off to food that I had bought, although people around me know I normally eat to the last grain of rice in the plate. 

I abhor wastage.         

 

******

 

I was curious about the famous vegetarian food along Serangoon Road that a number of 'asatizah' enjoyed. 

We were nearing the restaurant, about to enter when My Husband stopped me "Look at him!" 

My Husband pointed to the chef's face. 

He pulled me away and we ended up at Blue Diamond. 

Yes, when it comes to food, that Man is more fussy than I do. 

 

Although I may sound fussy too, nevertheless, bizarre foodist Andrew Zimmern's appetite always stirred my curiosity. 

Forever curious to know what's the next moving creature that will end up in his belly. 

It never fail to churn my stomach. 

His motto 'If It Looks Good, Eat It ' invited  petition  to stop his show shown in Travel Channel. 

He has known to eat guinea pig, green iguana, donkey, tarantula, raw cow heart, the beating bloody heart cut out of a live fish, live mealworms, blood soup, beating frog hearts, and many more. 

 

But it's Jamie Oliver's wish in transforming the way we feed ourselves and our children that I know that there's still celebrity chef out there who does not put his great appetite first. 

His 2009 Food Revolution has cross continent. 

This Londoner bloke is serious about getting Americans to reconnect with their food and change the way they eat. 

He wants to see the whole community cooking again. 

He worked with the school and local families to get everyone back in the kitchen with fresh ingredients.

He wants to save America's health. 

His  Food Revolution  is not just a TV show, it's a movement for the family and the community. 

He realised that it is not that parents did not want to feed their kids properly, it is just that nobody had ever taught them the basics about cooking. 

So, they did not have the knowledge they needed. 

He pleaded, if we care about our kids and their future, do make a few small changes because it will add years to life.