Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Internet Casts Its 'Spell'

I was introduced to online reading by My Husband.

Although he did not move anywhere except progressing from e-papers to reading blogs, always a silent reader with occasional anonymous comments, I proceed to dabbling what I've read and what's around that struck a chord in me.
I'm a homebody so internet open up the virtual windows to the wide, wide world and the universe too.

With my coming September trip, suddenly I became worried should there be no internet access.
Will we hit the access wall?
If there's no WiFi or wireless connection available in the hotel or at least nearby?
What has becoming in me?

Who did not fall in love with the internet?
Some people fall in love with  Steve Jobs  too, to the extend of wanting to know what he is doing behind closed doors.
Some people treat their computers better than their pets.

I had shared with readers about  Internet Addiction On Children,  Baby And Parents Gave Up Parents And Children  because of Internet, Children's Curious Minds,  and  The Lost Of Human Essence,  all because of internet.

Some people have had no will power to turn down an inbox check every ten minutes.
Luckily I'm not.
I do not check mails as often as I check updated online reading materials worth reading and blogs.
Facebook is only about updating myself with relatives and some online friends.
Twitter? What is there to write?

Should the local government impose 'Internet Diet' to 'Internet Addicts' and trying to manage curbing mindless web-surfer, I could not imagine how those addicted undergo their withdrawal period.

Of course severing oneself from the internet is not the answer but creating a distance from the internet?
If indeed, absence does make the heart grows fonder, then it's not the solution too.
How to overcome the pain?

Some people think his life would stop and he would be sent to the mental hospital to get mental treatment for the reason internet runs in his brain.
Another said life without internet is like a body without a heart.

Are you an internet junkie?
Find out below and take steps before the authority concerned takes its bolder step.

10 Signs The Internet Rules Your Life

It’s impossible to imagine life without the internet. We’re not only dependent on it for utilitarian uses like research, bill-paying and shopping, but we also rely on it as a mode of entertainment. The internet brings us consistent pleasure like no other previous invention, excluding television. As a result, many people spend much of their days online, with their laptops firmly planted in their laps and eyes permanently fixed on the screens. According to a Harris Interactive poll that was released in December of 2009, the average internet user spends 13 hours online per week. And, of course, internet addicts spend many more hours online than the average person. If you think the internet may be ruling your life, read through the indicators listed below and diagnose yourself.
  1. You check Facebook, Twitter, and/or your email more than a dozen times per day
    Sure, this pretty much applies to everyone nowadays, but then again, almost everyone is addicted to the internet. What are you really missing by not checking one of the aforementioned accounts after an hour? The messages will still be there two hours later, tomorrow and the next day. It’s a compulsive and pointless habit.
  2. You’ve unsuccessfully attempted to limit your time on the internet
    In an effort to broaden your horizons, spice up your life and try something new, you attempted to limit your time online per day. But you failed miserably after the first few days, and now spend more time on the internet than ever before. Your failure wasn’t because you didn’t have better things to do – it was because you endured physical discomfort without having the internet at your fingertips.
  3. You experience withdrawals without the internet
    Just like with commonly abused addictive substances like alcohol, drugs and tobacco, it’s possible to experience symptoms of withdrawal without the internet. In April of 2010, researchers from the University of Maryland released a study showing that students experienced craving, anxiety and the inability to function normally after 24 hours without all media. Of course, their lack of access to the internet through their laptops and phones was a major cause of frustration.
  4. You’ve lied about the amount of time you spend on the internet
    Have you minimized your browser before your boss loomed over your shoulder? Have you quickly shut your laptop before your significant other walked through the door? You normally shouldn’t be ashamed of the amount of time you spend online – unless, of course, you surf the web almost every moment of every day and it cuts into the rest of your life.
  5. You can definitively say you’d be more successful by spending less time online
    Without your dependency on the internet, you could’ve made the dean’s list several more times and graduated in four years instead of making the list just once and graduating in five years. You attribute your denied promotion or the lack of a raise to spending too much time online while at work. The internet has been the equalizer in your life – instead of fulfilling your above average potential, you’ve remained just average.
  6. You neglect face-to-face social interaction
    Skype is all the face-to-face social interaction you need. Perhaps your only consistent relationships are internet relationships – or in other words, with people who you’ve met online and rarely or never meet in person. Your previously existing real-life relationships have suffered because you’ve chosen to hang out online instead of hanging out with them.
  7. You always bring your laptop
    You bring your laptop to places that you don’t really need it so when the urge hits you, you can whip it out and connect to the nearest wireless hotspot. You go to social locations, like coffee shops, and communicate with people online when you could be communicating with them in person. Even during vacations, you spend time on the internet, when all of your time should be spent taking full advantage of the fun place you’re visiting.
  8. You have thousands of posts on a message board
    You have a lot to say and your favorite message board is where you say it. You’ve accumulated thousands of posts – the more you accumulate, the more respect you earn on the site – and made e-friends and e-enemies with fellow posters. You’ve even cultivated an e-personality that you convey with each post. While at work or hanging out with friends, you can’t stop thinking about the message board and even reference it on occasion.
  9. You update your blog daily
    Lots of people have blogs, but very few of them are actually active bloggers. If you’re one of the people who updates their blog daily during your free time – and not for work purposes – then you might be addicted to the internet. And the worst part is not that you’re wasting time that could be spent doing something more worthwhile, but you’re further polluting the internet with your insignificant opinions and mundane experiences – unless, of course, you actually add new information that people would find valuable.
  10. You know all of the current memes and viral videos
    You’re not familiar with just a few of the current memes and viral videos – because that would be pretty normal – but you know all of them. In late July of 2010, you were already tired of the inarticulateness of Basil Marceaux. You kept track of the appearances of Paul Yarrow and his beige sweater on BBC and Sky News. Perhaps you’ve even created your own marginally successful meme.

4 comments:

RoseBelle said...

I remember when the internet just came about and my brothers who were more computer literate that I was, always tried to figure out how this new technology worked. The internet has its good and bad. I love the easy access to information. Remember having to go to the library to do book reports? Err...not fun at all. I'm not addicted to the net. I don't FB, Myspace, AIM and you probably know that I don't update my blogs daily. The only time I would be on the computer is when everything needs to be done is done.

Lee said...

Hi Ummie, ha ha, love this posting.
I or we do not have a h/phone...and even though I was an IBM main frame Systems analyst long ago...I only discovered the Internet about 12 years ago when a friend donated his old pc to me, a 14 inch.

And then...being retired, like you...I came to enjoy the Net.
As well collecting pics, songs, you name it.

I today have 255 folders, some locked in my Apple's vault...of more than 7000 oldies songs, and 25,000 photos of scenery to SYTs to cars to food...

Then discovered about Blogs 6 years ago...by fluke too. And fortunately I did not destroy all my very old working diaries and notebooks dating back to the '50s....and today can refer to them for my cheritas.

I am retired, so it keeps me occupied, but got FB nor Tweet or whateve, Blog da chukup.
You have a nice day, Lee.
Ps, I can tahan if don't check my pc few days....but then, I'm home everyday, ha ha.

Ummie said...

RoseBelle,
By the way, thanks to the internet that My Husband saves a lot on newspaper.
Back then, everyday, at least 3 papers daily because printed news differ from across the causeway. Morning news is akin to a warm cup of coffee, light up the rest of the day :D).

.......

Mr Lee,
The 50s notebook? No joke, man.
Where was I then? Still in the universe ;p)
Have to put up all your photos with stories in a special blog meant for the future generations - Its priceless.

Lee said...

Hi Ummie, you know, 1 month before leaving for Canada, busy pavking, I took a big box of my old note books, in school exercise books, and old diaries working days, about 3o of them, was going to burn them....when I looked at them with a tinge of sadness.

Then I flipped thru some old pages and thought I will be destroying my past completely, no records.
Of my work, the SYTs I dated, ha ha, etc etc.
Then changed my mind, decided to bring to canada. Locked in an aluminium box.

Kept many years till I discovered blogs....and thought apa la nak post?
Then I remembered my old note books, diaries....the rest you know.

Have a beautiful Sunday and a happy hari Merdeka, Lee.