Monday, October 10, 2011

Visually Impaired Guiding The Normal Being

"You like writing?" 
asked Ustaz two days ago.

"Of course I do."

"Then write about my experience of healing others."

"Ustaz, the Internet connection at my place is really bad. 
It is one of the reason I'm now taking a break, eating many kitkats during that interval."

"Never mind, let it take its own sweet time and you can prolong your time too.
I thought of compiling my experience into a book.
But since I can no longer see, you take over from me."

"InsyaALLAH..."

******

I used to hear Ustaz's name since more than twenty years ago and heard him giving tazkirah (reminders) from the surau in our then neighbourhood.
From my house, I would follow his tazkirah as it struck deep in my heart.
But for some unfavourable reason, his position was replaced by others...

******

It all began when I called a friend informing her of my intention to make an Eid visit to her house.
Instead, she directed me to Ustaz's house where a healing process was taking place.
After more than twenty years of 'knowing' Ustaz, it was only during the recent Eidul Fitr that I saw his face for the first time.

I was following Ustaz's Qur'anic recitation closely during that first meeting.
After several times seeing Ustaz called out for the patient's husband to assist Ustaz placing his hands at several parts of the body, I thought he was just being courteous.

But it turned out that Ustaz is blind.
So Ustaz is a blind hafiz, a person who memorise Qur'anic recitation with all It's words etched in his heart.

******

During these trial periods, rendering moral support, especially when I was asked, is the least I am able to do to a good family.
So I often accompany them to Ustaz's place...

"Ustaz, I want to learn from you."

"Alhamdulillah, another person for me to pass on my knowledge." 
Thank GOD, Ustaz was delighted, never hesitated.

****** 

"Did I ever see Ummie before?" 
Ustaz asked his neighbour.

He became blind after an eye surgery went wrong performed by those not supposed to do it (need to check out with him when was that).

"Never."
His neighbour, a friend of mine too, answered him.

Although my husband and him used to meet, it was precisely the very reason that he had never seen me, that I wanted to be his student.

But, at the back of my mind, I felt ashamed that although Ustaz, his eyes may not be able to see the Qur'an, but his heart is crafted with 114 Chapters from Verses of the Al-Qur'an.        

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ustaz mmg gelap matanya..tp hatinya terang..kita yg celik ni jer selalu gelap mata hati..

Ummie said...

Last Saturday, Ustaz was reciting some verse from the Qur'an, while sitting on his verandah.
Without his knowledge, with Qur'an in my hand, I was checking on his recitation.
Amazing!
Not a single flaw from the long Surah.
Subhanallah.

Wan Sharif said...

Alhamdulillah
Menyukai/mendekati orang alim adalah salah satu cara mendekati Allah..

Ummie said...

Mr Wan Sharif,
This morning, Ustaz told me via my friend that he needed to polish his long overdue English.
Beside having the Qur'an in his heart, he memorise several verses of the bible too.